Everyone seems to go berserk over pumpkin when fall arrives, including me.But I will say I have no real affinity for the Starbucks Pumpkin Latte that hordes of girls seem to fall in love with come October.
That being said, I've been in search for the PERFECT pumpkin bread recipe, and after much internet scouring, I have found the ONE. It's easy to make, vegetarian, low in fat, and deliciously moist, trust me- it's worth the effort to make :).
I can't find the link to the original recipe...so I take no credit for this, but I have tweaked the recipe a bit for additional pumpkin.
Pumpkin Loaf (only 140 cals per slice!)
1C packed brown sugar
2 large egg whites
1 1/4 C pure pumpkin
1/4 C canola oil
1/3 C low fat plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 C white flour
1 C whole wheat flour
1/4 quick cooking oats
1tsp bkg powder
1tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Whisk wet ingredients together- sugar, egg whites, pumpkin, oil, yogurt, and vanilla extract
- Combine in a separate bowl the dry ingredients- white flour, whole wheat flour, oats, bkg powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, bkg soda, salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mixing in small amts at a time.
- Put in a greased loaf pan, bake for 45-50 mins, until cooked through. I like to sprinkle some oats on top for decoration!
- Enjoy! :D
And since I'm on an autumn recipe kick, a friend is hosting a wonderfully festive Halloween party soon and I've been looking up spooky vegetarian appetizers to make... here are some AWESOME ones I've found so far and am currently considering.
1. PIZZA MUMMIES! adorable, I think I'm going to make these since they are super easy, and i love pizza. Will probably photodocument, haha.
2. JACK-O-LANTERN tarts! too cute, too martha stewart.
3. Haunted House cake. Gorgeous, one day when I'm retired I'm going to try to make this.
4. Devilish Eggs. Love the play on words, they sound yummy too!
This is what the Halloween party of my dreams is going to look like
(courtesy marthastewart.com, and I do find it a bit creepy that the tab icon for her the site is martha stewart's face)...