Well lately, in addition to being vegetarian I've really become enamored of baking vegan goodies. Why vegan you say? Well that's a whole other conversation, but I thought it would be a nice challenge to create something delicious that omitted what many baked goods traditionally call for- such as eggs, butter, and milk.
Though I have had some baking disasters in the past, which are rare but catastrophic (recall my pumpkin brownies anyone?), I like to say I have a good knack of knowing what usually tastes good, is easy to make, cheap on my budget, and uses the fewest ingredients possible.
So after wasting a few hours online finding doable and exciting recipes. I set to make my first vegan creation. YAYYYY.
Here was the inspiration: http://www.recipezaar.com/Healthy-Vegan-Banana-Bread-106912
And here's my simple, tasty take on it:
Apple Banana Breakfast Loaf
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce (or 6 tablespoons apple juice concentrat)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Grease loaf pan.
2. Mash banana with fork. Add all other wet ingredients to banana and mix.
3. Combine all dry ingredients, mix.
4. Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Use hands to really mix it up and get rid of big banana chunks.
5. Pour in loaf pan. Sprinkle top with some oats for looks. Bake for 45 minutes.
It's delicious. And I've made it twice this week already. Refrigerate to keep fresh.
I also made these Vegan apple banana muffins- http://vegetarian.about.com/od/breakfastrecipe1/r/applebanmuffins.htm
But I subbed 1C apple sauce for everything apple in the recipe and omitted sugar. However, I added choc chips to the tops...hehehe.
Happy Baking! Join the vegan baking craze!