Monday, August 08, 2005

So summer is a month away from ending and you may be asking what have I been doing all this time? Why hasn't she been terrozing Chelmsford? Why does she just mysteriously elude me on campus? well here's an update-

So I began my UROP (Undergraduate Research Oppurtunity) for the summer in the Chemistry department (yeah I'm course 7, it beats me) here at MIT four days after finals ended. And having spent my spring break training in FL with the crew team (<3) and my winter break taking EMT finals and worshiping the rowing machine, my brain was total mush going into the research. Yes I want pity. hahahaa

I pretty much choose my lab because I knew I'd have an awesome supervisor and well, the lab was pretty. And I like to work in pretty places, with large expansive glass windows and cleanliness and no sketchy moldy chemicals. I am such a girl, but no my favorite color is not pink, yet.

I work in a pretty big lab, there are at least 7 other UROPS and a good amount of grad students and post docs, basically the smartest chemistry people I've ever met. So I'm happy adjusting to lab life, expecting it may be dull, monotonous, no fun. But a few weeks in I discover that grad students are very amiable people, actually erratic hilarious people that almost make me want to be one...ALMOST.

So it begins with the nicknames. There's all this stuff going on with -Izzle. It's like "hey, E-Fizzle, will you pass me the catechol 2,3 dioxygase?" Everyone has a name that like ends in -Izzle; I especially like it when the really studious asian grad students use the terminology. Then I start silently doubling over while pouring liquid nitrogen and you know that just can't be good. Additionally, there's this obsession with 50 cent that seems prevalent in my bay (I was like "what is this music?!?"). Oh and they like reggae too. But I'd have to say the icing on the cake was when my supervisor a really serious, upstanding guy from Trinidad was in the middle of explaining to me how to do a steady state activity assay when he took a sudden detour and drove a wrench into another guy's butt and ran off giggling. I nearly fell over laughing. Good times.

But yeah, most of the time all the chemistry is above and beyond my head and I feel utterly inept. Which in retrospect is a great way to sum up my feeling about freshman year. Oh but don't worry, I'll get my act together and pull off something amazing for my Summer Report, then you can all read it and be like "wow, what does that even mean?" and I can be like "wow, what DOES that even mean?".

But besides working alot of hours in lab, I'm tutoring underpriveledged kids in the Verbal/Writing SATs every monday for MIT ACCESS. Yeah, all the MIT kids only wanted to tutor the Math, pshh that! Verbal rocks. I've decided I really like the people who do it and just tutoring in general. You have to really care about what you do and want to do it, it's nice to talk to people like that. And we discuss things why the chapter labeled "The Big One" in "Me Talk Pretty One Day" is one of the finest pieces of literature like ever.

other noteworthy things I've done this summer:
1. Taken bhangra lessons during the month of June, and thus have now acquired a desire to be an honorary Indian. Please?
2. Learned how to scull. Not very well by any means. It was 5:30 am on a Friday morning, cloudy sky, a little chilly, mist on the water and utterly beautiful. Then I put my hands on the oars and everything went wrong. Not as in capsizing, but as in I've discovered that my left hand is kind of dominant, leading me to row and a circular path. Just kidding, it's not THAT bad. However, my coach Irene did yell at me from the launch encouraging believable advice like.."You'll be ready for the Olympics in no time, champ!"
3. Had Dim Sum, Dinner at the North End, Dinner off Newbury Street, and yes gone back to Taiwan for 2 weeks.
Wow, that was alot of writing but I have alot to get out of my system and it's late at night and I'm bored. Yes, you guessed it, I'm in Chelmsford. heehee. But I will update more often. I hope.

No comments: